As a Catholic School, we put Christ at the centre of everything we do by integrating Gospel values and the teachings of the Catholic Church into every aspect of learning, teaching and the totality of school life. The curriculum we offer is therefore inspired by the teachings of the Gospel.
The curriculum is the means by which our school achieves its objective of educating children in the knowledge, skills and understanding that they need in order to lead fulfilling lives. At Sacred Heart School, we promise to deliver a fully inclusive curriculum which is engaging, challenging and which fosters independence.
The curriculum we offer at Sacred Heart School is designed to encourage and promote the intellectual, personal, social, physical, creative, spiritual and moral development of our pupils.
Our curriculum is knowledge rich. All aspects of the curriculum have been designed with progression in mind; this ensures that children build on existing skills and knowledge, which, over time, enables them to know more and remember more.
Our curriculum is built around the objectives set out in the National Curriculum, which covers the core subjects: English, Mathematics and Science, and the foundation subjects: Computing, History, Geography, Art and Design, Design and Technology, Music, Physical Education, Languages (French), PSHE and RSHE and Religious Education.
Our curriculum focuses significantly on the core areas of reading, writing, speaking and listening, maths and science. These underpin all of our work and are key to providing our children with the skills needed to access a wide range of learning.
We believe that, through our curriculum, our children will:
- gain the in-depth knowledge and cultural capital they need to succeed in life
- develop the skills needed for future learning
- be prepared for the next stage of their education
- value diversity whilst also promoting shared values
- develop an awareness of human rights
- be able to make a positive contribution to their school community and the wider community
- understand what it is to be a Global Citizen, recognising the part they have to play within this.
The Core Offer for all children includes entitlement to the following, as a minimum :
- Experienced, dedicated staff who have high expectations of all children.
- Highly trained teaching assistants who are able to deliver specific interventions as well as provide in-class support.
- Read Write Inc- a systematic and consistent approach to the teaching of phonics and early reading, including reading books which match phonics knowledge
- At least one whole class educational visit per year.
- External visitors such as Zoolab, poets, African drummers and theatre groups.
- Regular showcases for parents and the wider community
- The expertise of visiting professional sports people
- Cross curricular global learning including work around the Global Goals.
- Participation in Advent and Lenten services in church.
- Reading prayers and scripture and performing liturgical dance in church.
- Reading at a variety of whole school and class Masses/services.
- Being a member of the School Council or Chaplaincy Team.
- Developing awareness of local, national and international events
- Attending a range of extracurricular activities
To find out more about our curriculum, please contact the school and ask to speak to the Headteacher, Ms Tuplin, or the Deputy Headteacher, Mrs Jessop. Alternatively, why not make an appointment to come and have a look round our wonderful school and see the curriculum in action for yourself? You can be assured of a warm welcome.
Full details of the curriculum can be found in our curriculum documents below: