Reading for Pleasure
Reading for Pleasure (defined as choosing to read) is the single most important indicator of a child's future success.
Reading for Pleasure is a key aim for our children at Sacred Heart. We want to create a culture around reading where all members of our community read for pleasure, read widely, share books and talk about books.
We create this culture by:
- teachers having a good knowledge of children's literature
- teachers having knowledge of the children as readers
- creating attractive reading environments
- reading aloud everyday
- encouraging book talk
- daily independent reading time
- teachers modelling reading
- creating a wider reading community